|If this website has been useful to you, please consider
making a Donation.
Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do
more research. Thank you for your support!
2nd Ohio Independent Company
1st, 2nd & 3rd Ohio Company Sharpshooters Soldier Roster - Official
Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion,
1861-1866, Volume 1, by Ohio Roster Commission (Wm. McKinley, Jr., Governor,
Samuel M. Taylor, Sec'y of State and James C. Howe, Adjutant-General), 1893
View Entire Book
|First, Second and Third Independent Companies,
Sharpshooters. — In the fall of 1861 the recruiting of ten companies of
sharpshooters was ordered by the government for Gen. John C. Fremont,
then in command of the Department of the Missouri. The regiment was to
be known as Birge's sharpshooters. Gov. Dennison received instructions
from the war department that recruits for this service should undergo a
rigid test before acceptance, which caused so much delay that the
project failed. The regiment, however, was formed by a combination of
troops from several states, Ohio furnishing three companies, the
remaining seven companies being formed later. A battalion of four
companies entered the Army of the Cumberland, one company was attached
to the 79th Ohio infantry, and two companies to the 60th Ohio infantry.
The 1st independent company was organized at Dayton, the enrolling of
which took place from Sept. 18 to Nov. 14, 1861, by Capt., Calvin Reed.
It left Dayton on Oct. 15, via Cincinnati and the Ohio & Missisippi
railroad for St. Louis, Mo., to join Birge's western sharpshooters. It
was armed with the American target rifle, and equipped with bear-skin
shot pouch, scraped powder horn, squirrel-tailed cap, blue coat and gray
pantaloons. Arriving at St. Louis, it went into quarters at Camp Benton
and on Nov. 23 was mustered into the U. S. service. The 2nd independent
company was recruited in Hancock and Hardin counties, the organization
being formed at Findlay during the months of September and October by
Capt. Campbell Dougherty. It was also ordered to St. Louis, where it
arrived a short time after Capt. Reed's company, and was mustered into
the U. S. service on Nov. 30, being then assigned as Co. H, Birge's
western sharpshooters. On Dec. 12, the regiment left Camp Benton and was
engaged in scouting duty through the counties of Boone, Audrain and
Macon, Mo., in pursuit of a Confederate force endeavoring to destroy the
North Missouri railroad. It participated in the battle of Mount Zion
Church, Dec. 28. On Feb. 4, 1862, it left Camp McClellan, Sturgeon, Mo.,
for Fort Henry, Tenn. ; was engaged with the enemy at Fort Donelson in
February, capturing 3 stands of colors from the 3d, 16th and 18th Tenn.
Confederate infantry; and was also at the battle of Shiloh. The 3d
independent company was recruited in the counties of Allen and Hardin.
It was enrolled at Lima, from March 12 to April 4, 1862, by Capt. George
A. Taylor, and was mustered into the U. S. service on April 7, at Camp
Chase, Columbus. The company was at once ordered to the front and on
April 14 joined Birge's western sharpshooters at Camp C. F. Smith,
Pittsburg Landing, Tenn. On this date the designation of the regiment
was changed to the Western Sharpshooters, 14th regiment infantry.
Previous to this time, not having a state designation, Missouri and
Illinois both claimed it. The regiment's final designation was 66th Ill.
infantry. The three Ohio companies took the regimental letters G, H and
K, but also retained the figures as independent companies until their
reenlistment as veterans, when they were known afterwards by letter
only. They established Camp Davies, Miss., as an outpost for Gen. U. S.
Grant's army; served Gen. E. O. C. Ord as headquarters guard from June
23 to Aug. 23; accompanied Gen. G. M. Dodge, 2nd division, 16th corps,
from Camp Davies to Pulaski, Tenn., to reinforce Gen. Thomas' Army of
the Cumberland at Chattanooga; guarded the Nashville & Decatur railroad
and Rhodes' bridge; entered the service as veterans Dec. 22, 1863, at
Camp P. E. Burke, Pulaski, Tenn. ; received veteran furlough Jan. 28,
1864, the Ohio companies going to Chicago with their regiment, and
thence to their home. Returning in time for the Atlanta campaign, they
became a part of the left wing 16th corps, McPherson's army, with which
they passed through the actions of this famous march. They subsequently
participated in the march to the sea and in the campaign of the
Carolinas. The three Ohio companies, blended as heroes, shared equally
with great distinction and fortitude the trials, hardships, privations
and dangers of war. The 1st and 2nd companies were mustered out on July
7, 1865, at Louisville, Ky., after serving nearly four years. The 3d
company was mustered out on expiration of term of service April 26,
1865, at Springfield, Ill. Inscribed on the roll of honor of the three
companies are the names of 59 heroes, killed or died of disease, whose
sacrifices, sufferings and deaths during their brilliant service will
never cease to be cherished by a grateful people.
Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing
Company, 1908 - Volume 2