|If this website has been useful to you, please consider
making a Donation.
Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do
more research. Thank you for your support!
2nd New York
2nd New York
Roster - Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York For the Year
1893, Volume 8 View the Entire Book
|Second New York Artillery. Cols., Jeremiah Palmer, Gustave Wagner,
Milton Cogswell, Joseph N. G. Whistler; Lieut.-Cols., Oscar F. Hulser, Henry B. Burtnett,
Henry P. Roche, Gustave Wagner, Jeremiah Palmer, George Hogg; Majs., Henry P. Roche,
Albert Bronson, Thomas McGuire, George Hogg, Benjamin Van Raden, Alexander Doul, George S.
Dawson, Edward A. Selkirk, William A. McKay, Pliny L. Joslyn, Thomas J. Clark, Oscar F.
Hulser, Sullivan B. Lamoreaux, Francis R. Humphreys. This regiment was known as Gov.
Morgan's 2nd regiment U. S. light artillery, or Palmer's artillery. Eight of its companies
were recruited prior to Oct. 18, 1861, by Cols. John W. Latson and Jeremiah Palmer, and to
these were added on Dec. 5, 1861, the Morgan and the Flushing artillery, completing the
regimental organization. The companies were raised in the counties of New York, Oneida and
Herkimer and the regiment was organized at Staten island, where it was mustered into the
U. S. service by companies, between Aug. 22 and Dec. 12, 1861, for three years.
Thirty-four Indians of the Oneida tribe, original members of Co. F, were discharged in
June, 1862. Original Battery L, which had served detached as light artillery, became the
34th Battery (q. v.) in Nov., 1863, and was replaced by a new battery in Jan., 1864. On
the expiration of their term of service the original members were mustered out, and the
regiment, composed of veterans and recruits, remained in service. On June 27, 1865, it was
consolidated into eight companies, and four companies of the 9th N. Y. artillery were
transferred to it as Cos. I, K, L and M. The first eight companies left the state on Nov.
7, 1861, and the remaining companies about a month later. Early in the war the regiment
garrisoned Forts Ward, Worth and Blenker the advanced line of Washington defenses
on the Virginia side of the Potomac. At the time of the enemy's raid upon Manassas in
Aug., 1862, it did splendid service at Bull Run bridge and was the means of saving the
remainder of Gen. Taylor's New Jersey brigade, holding the enemy in check while the New
Jersey troops and the 12th Pa. cavalry made good their retreat. Its loss in this action
was 1 killed, 6 wounded and 53 missing. The regiment fought bravely during Grant's
campaign of 1864 and during the final Appomattox campaign. It was assigned to Tyler's
artillery division, 2nd corps, on May 18, 1864, and afterwards served in Barlow's division
of the same corps. It took part in the engagements at Spottsylvania, the North Anna,
Totopotomy, Cold Harbor, first assault on Petersburg, Weldon railroad, Deep Bottom,
Strawberry Plains, Reams' station, Hatcher's run, Fort Stedman, White Oak ridge, fall of
Petersburg, Deatonsville, High bridge, Farmville and Appomattox Court House. Its losses
were particularly heavy at Spottsylvania 117 killed, wounded and missing. At the
Totopotomy and North Anna it lost 95 killed, wounded and missing; at Cold Harbor 215; at
the first assaults on Petersburg, 306; at Strawberry Plains, 60; at Reams' Station, 72;
and during the final assault on Petersburg, 104. There were nine heavy artillery regiments
whose loss in killed and died of wounds exceeded 200, among which the 2nd N. Y. ranked
eighth. In the assault on Petersburg, June 17, 1864, the 2nd lost 54 killed, which is one
of the most remarkable losses sustained by a heavy artillery regiment in any one
engagement during the war. Its total losses were 216 killed and mortally wounded, 10 of
whom were officers; 250 enlisted men died of disease, accidents, in prison, etc.; total
deaths, 466. There were 27 officers and 718 enlisted men wounded (including 106 mortally
wounded) and 71 enlisted men died as prisoners. It was mustered out at Washington, Sept.
29, 1865, commanded by Col. Whistler.
Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing
Company, 1908 - Volume 2