Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

20th New York Infantry

Online Books:
20th New York Infantry Soldier Roster - Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York For the Year 1893, Volume 20     View the Entire Book

Regimental History
Twentieth New York Infantry. — Cols., Max Weber, Francis Weiss, Baron Ernst Von Vegesack; Lieut.-Cols., Franz Weiss, Egbert Schnepf; Majs., Engleberth Schnepf, Lorenz Meyer. The 20th regiment, the "United Turner Rifles," was composed of volunteers from the Turner societies of New York city and vicinity and was mustered into the U. S. service at New York city, May 6, 1861, for two years. For more than a month the regiment was quartered at the Turtle Bay brewery and on June 13, embarked for Fortress Monroe, where it encamped at Tyler's point for a month and then moved to Hampton. At the time of the organization of the regiment, a portion of the men were mustered into the state service for two years and the U. S. service for three months and on Aug. 2, under special orders the three months men were mustered into the U. S. service for the remainder of the two years' term. On Aug. 26, the regiment embarked for Fort Hatteras, where it participated in the capture of the fortifications and remained quartered until Sept. 25, when it returned to Virginia. The entire regiment occupied Camp Hamilton until Oct. 7, when four companies were sent to Newport News, engaging the enemy at Sinclair's farm and New Market bridge and rejoined the regiment at Camp Hamilton on Feb. 20, 1862. On May 9 the 20th embarked for Norfolk; moved from there via Portsmouth, White House landing and Savage Station and joined the Army of the Potomac at Camp Lincoln, where it was assigned to the 3d brigade, 2nd division, 6th corps. During the Seven Days' battles the loss of the command was 64 killed, wounded or missing, after which it was encamped at Harrison's landing from July 2 to Aug. 16, when it was ordered to Fortress Monroe and from there to Alexandria and Manassas. It participated in the battle of South mountain and suffered its heaviest loss at Antietam, when 145 of its number were killed, wounded or missing. From Nov. 18 to Dec. 4, it was encamped at Acquia creek, then proceeded to Falmouth and was placed in support of artillery during the battle of Fredericksburg. Winter quarters were established at White Oak Church and occupied, except during the "Mud March," until April 20, 1863. Toward the last of April 202 members of the command refused further service, claiming that the term of enlistment had expired. They were disciplined by arrest and the regiment was active in the Chancellorsville campaign. The term of service having expired, the regiment left for New York on May 6, and was there mustered out June 1, 1863. During its service it lost 62 members by death from wounds and 59 died from other causes.  

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of