Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

Battery D New Jersey Artillery

Regimental History
Battery D. — Capts., George T. Woodbury, Charles R. Doane; First Lieuts., James B. Morris, Reuben V. King; Second Lieuts., Thomas B. Pollard, John H. George, David A. Pollard, Morris C. Cole. This battery, which achieved a high reputation by its distinguished services, was recruited principally in Essex, Mercer and Monmouth counties. The first detachment of recruits went into quarters at Camp Perrine, Trenton, under charge of Sergt. John Otto, about the middle of Aug., 1863, just after the terrible battle of Gettysburg when the whole country, awakened to a fresh appreciation of the necessity of energetic action, was addressing itself with enthusiasm to the work of supplying the 300,000 additional volunteers called for by the president. The quota of New Jersey under that call included three batteries of light artillery, in addition to the two previously furnished by the state. This branch of the service having always been the favorite with recruits and veterans alike, little difficulty was experienced in filling the ranks, notwithstanding several regiments of infantry and one of cavalry were at the same time in process of formation. Batteries C, D and E went into camp at Camp Perrine, and left for Washington almost simultaneously. Battery D taking its name from its commandant, was at that time more familiarly known as "Woodbury's battery," and subsequently as the "4th N. J. Battery," being so reported at the war department and carried on its rolls. Reaching Washington on Sept. 30, 1863, it proceeded after a night's rest to Camp Barry, the artillery camp of instruction, on the Bladensburg road, where it reported to the commandant of the post and quarters were assigned for the officers and men. The first action in which the battery was engaged occurred on May 10, 1864, on the Richmond & Petersburg turnpike, in which several were wounded but none killed. Being placed in Fort Marshall, Bermuda Hundred, a few days later, it remained there until Aug. 14, participating in the continued heroic defense of that place. In the fight near Malvern hill in August, the battery again displayed remarkable courage and efficiency. It participated in operations around Petersburg until after the surrender and was mustered out on June 2, 1865.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of