Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

13th New Hampshire Regiment Infantry

Regimental History
Thirteenth Infantry. — Col., Aaron F. Stevens; Lieut.-Cols., George Bowers, Jacob J. Storer, William Grantman, Norman Smith; Majs., Jacob J. Storer, William Grantman, Norman Smith, Nathan D. Stoodley. This regiment, composed of men from Rockingham, Hillsboro, Strafford, Grafton, Merrimack, Carroll and Coos counties, was mustered into the service for three years, at Concord, Sept. 12 to Oct. 9, 1862. The original members were mustered out at Richmond, Va., June 21, 1865, and the same day the recruits were transferred to the 2nd N. H. infantry. The original members and those gained by transfer numbered 1,017, recruits 255, making a total of 1,272. The 13th lost by death 180 members, of whom one-half were killed or died of wounds. The regiment arrived in Washington, Oct. 8, 1862, and was assigned to the 1st brigade, defenses of Washington, until Dec. 10, when it joined the Army of the Potomac and was first under fire at Stafford's heights. Entering Fredericksburg Dec. 11 it remained there until the 13th, when it made an assault on Marye's heights. After the battle of Fredericksburg it went into camp at the Phillips house and was there until in Feb., 1863, when it left for Newport News. It was ordered to Suffolk, Va., on March 13 and took part in raising the siege of that city. During this summer and the ensuing winter it performed many arduous and exacting duties but was not again actively engaged until May, 1864, when it was in the battles of Port Walthall Junction, Swift creek, Proctor's and Kingsland creeks, Drewry's bluff and Bermuda Hundred, all in the vicinity of Richmond, Va. The regiment lost heavily in the battle of Cold Harbor and afterward moved toward Petersburg, where it made a daring assault on Battery No. 5, succeeding in its capture. It took part in the siege of Petersburg and on Aug. 26 was ordered to Bermuda Hundred, where it remained until Sept. 28, when it was ordered to Fort Harrison. It fought bravely in the capture and defense of that fort and suffered severe losses. Its next battle was at Fair Oaks late in Oct., 1864. The regiment and its colors were among the first to enter Richmond, April 3, 1865, and it was on duty here until the end of its service.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of