Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

4th Michigan Infantry
in the American Civil War

Regimental History
Fourth Michigan Infantry. Cols., Dwight A. Woodbury, Jonathan W. Childs, Harrison H. Jeffords, George W. Lumbard, Jairus W. Hall; Lieut. -Cols., William W. Duffield, Jonathan W. Childs, George W. Lumbard, Michael J. Vreeland; Majs., Jonathan W. Childs, John M. Randolph, Jairus W. Hall, Sewell S. Parker. This regiment was organized at Adrian in May, 1861, and was mustered in June 20. It left the state June 25 and reported at Washington, where it was engaged in the defense of the city during the summer and encamped at Miner's hill, Va., during the winter. It was attached to Griffin's brigade, Morell's brigade, Porter's division, 3d corps, and participated in the siege of Yorktown. It was also engaged at New bridge in May, fording the Chickahominy under a heavy fire and driving off a superior force, for which it received high praise. Gen. McClellan telegraphing that the 4th Mich, had "covered itself with glory." It was then engaged at Hanover Court House, Mechanicsville, at Gaines' mill, Savage Station, Turkey bend, White Oak swamp, and Malvern hill, where Col. Woodbury was killed. Lieut. -Col. Childs was made colonel, Lieut. -Col. Duffield having been promoted to the colonelcy of the 9th. In six days' fighting the regiment lost 53 killed, 144 wounded and 52 missing. It was next engaged at Gainesville, the second Bull Run, Antietam, and Shepherdstown ford, where its brigade forded the Potomac under battery fire, driving off the enemy and capturing the guns. The regiment was at Fredericksburg in December, where a ridge was taken under terrific fire, with a loss of 9 killed, 41 wounded and 1 missing. It was in camp near Falmouth during the winter, engaged in the battle of Chancellorsville, remained at Kelly's ford until June 13, and then marched through Maryland and Pennsylvania to Gettysburg, where it took a prominent part, sharing in the fiercest of the fight. Col. Jeffords, who had succeeded Childs, was killed, and the loss of the regiment was 28 killed, 84 wounded, with many missing and prisoners. Lieut. -Col. Lumbard was promoted colonel. The regiment followed the Confederate army southward, fighting at Williamsport, Wapping heights, Culpeper, Brandy Station, Bristoe Station, Rappahannock Station and Mine run, and was on railroad guard duty at Bealeton from Dec. 1, until April 30, 1864. It was in the battle of the Wilderness, where Col. Lumbard was killed, fought at Laurel hill, the Po river, Spottsylvania, the Ny river, the North Anna, Jericho Mills, Totopotomy, Magnolia Swamp and Bethesda Church, and then proceeded to Petersburg, where it took part in the early assaults on the works. On June 19 it started for home and was mustered out on the 30th, with 135 men and 22 officers present, 129 having reenlisted as veterans. The 280 men and 3 officers, whose terms had not expired, were left with the 1st regiment when the 4th left for home. The original strength of the regiment was 1,025; gain by recruits, 300; total, 1,325. Loss by death, 273. The 4th was reorganized during the summer, eight companies being recruited, with Col. J. W. Hall commanding. It was mustered in at Adrian, Oct. 14, left the state Oct. 22, reached Decatur, Ala., on the 28th, participated in the defense of that town and was then stationed at Whitesboro. It was engaged at New Market, was then ordered to Murfreesboro, where it was engaged in railroad guard and picket duty until Jan. 15, 1865, when it moved to Huntsville, Ala., and was assigned to the 3d brigade, 3d division, 4th army corps. It moved through Tennessee during April, reaching Nashville on the 27th, and on June 16, it moved for New Orleans, where it was joined by the detachment of the old 4th. On July 6 it took steamer for Texas, reached Green Lake on the 11th, and remained there in camp for two months, losing many men from the effects of poor water and very hot weather. On Sept. 11 it started for San Antonio, 170 miles, reached Salada creek on the 24th, remained there for two months on provost duty in the city and at various points until May 26, 1866, when it was mustered out at Houston. The total enrollment was 1,300. Loss by death, 148, of which 141 were of disease.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Share this page with your friends!



Copyright 2010 by
A Division of