Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

22nd Maine Regiment Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Twenty-second Infantry. — Col., Simon G. Jerrard; Lieut.-Col., Olonzo G. Putnam; Maj., John O. Brackett. This regiment was rendezvoused at Camp John Pope, Bangor, and was mustered into service Oct. 18, 1862, to serve nine months. It left on the 21st for Washington, where it arrived on the 24th and remained encamped at Arlington Heights until Nov. 3, when it was temporarily assigned to the 3d brigade, Casey's division, commanded by Col. Fessenden, of the 25th Me. Having been ordered to Fortress Monroe to form a part of the projected expedition to New Orleans, it embarked Dec. 4 at Newport News and arrived at New Orleans on the 15th. On the 17th it occupied Baton Rouge and was assigned to the 1st brigade, Grover's division. It participated in the reconnaissance in the rear of Port Hudson March 13 to 16, and on March 26 formed a part of the expedition up the Atchafalaya to attack the enemy's works in the rear. It defeated the enemy in a sharp engagement at Irish bend on April 14, and garrisoned at Franklin until the 25th, when it went to New Iberia. On May 6, it moved toward Port Hudson, where it arrived on June 1, having marched over 500 miles during the campaign. It participated in two assaults on the works at Port Hudson, June 9 and 14, and after the surrender of that place was quartered inside the works until July 24, when it started for Maine, going by boat to Cairo, Ill., thence by rail to Bangor, where it arrived on Aug. 6, and was mustered out on the 15th.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of