Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

15th Maine Regiment Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Fifteenth Infantry. — Cols., John McCluskey, Isaac Dyer; Lieut.-Cols., Isaac Dyer, Benjamin B. Murray, Jr., Pembroke; Majs., Benjamin Hawes, Franklin M. Drew, James H. Whitmore, John R. Coates. This regiment was raised principally in Aroostock county, and was organized at Augusta, Me., from Dec. 6 to 31, 1861, to serve for three years. It was mustered into the U. S. service on Jan. 23, 1862, and embarked from Portland March 6 for Ship island, Miss., at which date it numbered 962 men, rank and file. The regiment remained encamped at Carrollton, La., from May 19 to Sept. 18, during which time it suffered much from malarial diseases. In September it went to Pensacola, Fla., where it remained until June 21, 1863. Here the health of the men so improved that the number in hospital was reduced to less than one-quarter. During the first year of its service the 15th lost by desertion, discharge and death 329 men, although it had never been in battle. On its return to New Orleans in June, 1863, it joined Gen. Banks' expedition to Texas and rendered conspicuous service in the capture of Fort Esperanza, in Matagorda bay. While at Matagorda peninsula, from Jan. 17 to Feb. 28, 1864, three-fourths of the original members of the regiment reenlisted for another term of three years. Returning to New Orleans in March, the regiment formed a part of Gen. Banks' Red river expedition, during which it marched more than 700 miles in two months, and participated in the battles of Sabine cross-roads, Pleasant Hill, Cane river crossing and Mansura plains. In June, 1864, it was ordered to New Orleans, and on July 5 embarked on transports for Fortress Monroe, Va., where it arrived on the 17th. Six companies were then ordered to Bermuda Hundred, and the remaining companies participated in the campaign up the valley in pursuit of Early's army. The command was reunited at Monocacy Junction, Md., Aug. 4, when the veterans of the regiment who had reenlisted received a 35 days' furlough, returning to the field Sept. 27. In October it went to Martinsburg, where it remained until Jan. 7, 1865. The original members of the regiment who had not reenlisted were mustered out on Jan. 18, 1865, but the reenlisted men, recruits, volunteers, drafted men and substitutes forwarded from Camp Berry, Portland, were sufficient to reorganize the regiment, which was ordered to Washington in April, and went to Savannah, Ga., on June 4. On the 13th, it embarked on transports for Georgetown, S. C, where it was assigned to the 3d separate brigade. Department of South Carolina, and remained here until the date of muster out, July 5, 1866, whence the men went to New York, where they were finally paid and discharged.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of