Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

10th Maine Regiment Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Tenth Infantry. — Col., George L. Beal; Lieut.-Col., James F. Fillebrown; Majs., Charles Walker, Charles S. Emerson. When the 1st Me. was mustered out of service in the Union army the various companies composing it, and which had enlisted in the State militia for two years and in the U. S. service for only three months, were ordered to rendezvous at Portland for the purpose of reorganizing the regiment to serve out the rest of their time. This was found to be partially impracticable, however, except by the employment of coercive measures. All the companies were reorganized except A, C and D, but 697 out of the 881 men were paid bounty as newly enlisted troops. Co. C was formed by a fusion of the three companies not able to organize separately; Co. A was recruited in Saco, and Co. D was raised in Aroostook county. These companies were organized to form the new 10th at Cape Elizabeth, Me., in Oct., 1861, and were mustered into the U. S. service as follows: Companies B, C, E, F, G, H, I, and K to serve two years from May 3, 1861, and A and D to serve three years from Oct. 4, 1861. The two years men were mustered out of service May 7 and 8, 1863, and the remaining men consolidated into a battalion of three companies, A, B and D, which was transferred to the 29th Me. on Nov. 1, 1863, by a special order from the war department. The regiment left Portland Oct. 6, 1861, and arrived in Baltimore on the 9th, where it remained encamped at "Patterson Park" until Nov. 4, when it moved to Relay House, Md., and relieved the 4th Wis. as guard of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad until Feb. 27, 1862. It afterward guarded the main line of the same road leading to Harper's Ferry, and the railroads leading to Martinsburg and Charlestown, W. Va. The regiment was concentrated at Winchester on May 24, and the following day was given the dangerous duty of rear-guard to the forces of Gen. Banks on his retreat to Williamsport, Md., during which it suffered a loss of 90 men. At Williamsport it was assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st division, Banks' corps. May 28, it made a reconnoissance towards Martinsburg, advanced to Winchester on the 31st, occupied Front Royal June 22, and took part in the reconnoissance to Luray Court House on June 29. On July 6, it proceeded towards Culpeper Court House and arrived there on the 24th. Gen. Crawford, the brigade commander, often stated that the 10th Me. contained more scouts than all other regiments in the brigade combined. It subsequently participated in the battle of Cedar mountain, where its losses were 173 men, and was in all the movements of Gen. Pope's army on his retreat toward Washington. At the battle of Antietam the regiment lost 20 killed and 48 wounded. From Sept. 19, 1862, to Sept. 28, 1863, it was at Maryland heights, opposite Harper's Ferry, Berlin, Md., Fairfax Station and Stafford Court House, Va., leaving the latter place on April 28, 1863, for Maine, as the two years' term of service had expired. The original members were mustered out at Portland on May 7-8, 1863. The three years' men were detached from the regiment on April 26, and organized into a battalion of three companies. On Sunday, April 26, 1863, the following order was received from corps headquarters: "Special Order No. 100. (extract) The enlisted men of the 10th Me. volunteers, whose term of service extends to three years or during the war, will be marched to these headquarters in charge of the following named officers: Capt. J. D. Beardsley, Lieut. Charles F. King, Lieut. Chandler Libbey, Lieut. Charles H. Haskell, and Ass't Surgeon H. N. Howard. These men will be constituted a provost guard, relieving the three companies of the 2nd Mass. volunteers now on duty at these headquarters. They will be allowed to retain their full proportion of camp and garrison equipage. By command of Maj.-Gen. Slocum." As soon as the battalion had reported, the officers and men referred to were immediately organized into three equal companies, and on April 29, with the rest of the 12th corps, crossed the Rappahannock and arrived at Chancellorsville on the 30th. It was not actively engaged in the battle which ensued here and lost only a few men. It next participated in every part of the campaign ending in the battle of Gettysburg, and was encamped along the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers from Aug. 1 to Sept. 24, 1863, when it accompanied the 12th corps to Nashville, Tenn. From Nashville it went to Wartrace, and remained there until Nov. 1, 1863, when it was assigned to the 29th Me. infantry then being organized, and which the battalion joined at New Orleans, La.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of