Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

52nd Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Fifty-second Infantry. — Col., Halbert S. Greenleaf; Lieut.-Col., Samuel J. Storrs; Maj., Henry Winn. This regiment was recruited from the counties of Franklin and Hampshire, and was organized at Camp Miller, Greenfield. Two companies were mustered into the U. S. service on Oct. 2, 1862, for nine months, and the remaining eight on the 11th, while the field and staff officers were mustered in Nov. 19. It left the state on Nov. 20, for New York to take part in the Banks expedition. On Dec. 2 it embarked for Louisiana, arrived at Baton Rouge Dec. 17, and was attached to the 2nd brigade, 4th division, 19th corps. It saw no active service during the winter, remaining encamped at Baton Rouge until March 13, 1863, when it joined in the reconnaissance in the rear of Port Hudson to assist the Union fleet under Adm. Farragut in its attempt to run the Confederate batteries. On March 27 it embarked for Donaldsonville, La., and on the 31st, as a part of Grover's division, it shared in the Bayou Teche expedition, forming part of the reserve at the battle of Indian ridge on April 14. Four companies were detached at New Iberia as provost guard, and the others proceeded to Opelousas and Barre's landing. The six companies and Nims' battery remained at this point engaged in various duties until May 21, when, having been joined by the four companies left at New Iberia, the regiment started on the long return march and finally rejoined its brigade before Port Hudson. It formed part of Gen. Paine's column in the march toward Clinton on June 5, returning on the 8th without having met the enemy. On June 14 it was deployed as skirmishers on the right of Gen. Weitzel's attacking column during the assault of that day, and suffered a loss of 3 killed and 7 wounded. During the remainder of the siege of Port Hudson, it occupied an advanced position in the trenches, and lost a number in killed and wounded by the fire of the sharpshooters. Soon after the surrender of Port Hudson, its term of service expired. It had the distinction of being the first regiment to return home by way of the Mississippi river, reaching Greenfield on Aug. 3, and on the 14th it was mustered out. During its term of service it had lost 1 officer and 10 enlisted men killed in action and 99 by accident and disease. Its loss by desertion was only 3.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of