Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

50th Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Fiftieth Infantry. — Col., Carlos P. Messer; Lieut.-Col., John W. Locke; Maj., John Hodges, Jr. The nucleus of this regiment was the 7th Mass. militia, composed of men from Essex and Middlesex counties. It was rapidly recruited to the required numbers at Camp Edwin Stanton, Boxford, between Sept. 15 and Sept. 30, 1862, was mustered into service for nine months. It had 39 officers and 904 enlisted men on its rolls. During its term of service it lost but 1 man in action, who was killed at Port Hudson. One officer and 87 enlisted men died by accident or disease. The 50th left on Nov. 19 for New York under orders to join Gen. Banks' forces in the Department of the Gulf. There was a great lack of adequate transportation facilities, so that the regiment was sent to Louisiana by detachments. Co. I departed on Dec. 1 and reached Baton Rouge on the 16th, far in advance of the others. A, E and K did not arrive until after Feb. 5, 1863; B, D and H arrived at New Orleans, Jan. 27, but were delayed in quarantine by reason of smallpox aboard their vessel and did not rejoin the regiment until April 2; C, F and G reached New Orleans, Feb. 9, and joined the regiment at Baton Rouge on the 14th. The 50th was assigned to the 3d brigade, 1st division, 19th corps, and shared in the demonstration of March 14 in the rear of Port Hudson, to enable Adm. Farragut to run the Confederate batteries. On April 9, four companies participated in an expedition to the Bayou Monticeno, on the Port Hudson road, and on May 12 the regiment moved with its brigade to White's bayou, 10 miles southeast of Port Hudson, where it remained on guard while the fortress was being invested. On the 26th it moved up within range, and shared in the assault of the next day, losing 1 killed and 4 wounded. It participated in the hardships of the siege until the surrender, when it was detailed for garrison duty within the fortifications, and remained there until ordered home by way of Cairo, Ill., reaching Boston Aug. 11, and was mustered out at Wenham on the 24th.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of