Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

43rd Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Forty-third Infantry.— Col., Charles L. Holbrook; Lieut.-Col., John C. Whiton; Maj., Everett Lane. The basis of this regiment, known as the "Tiger regiment," was the 2nd battalion, 1st brigade, 1st division, Mass. volunteer militia. The battalion, which volunteered for the nine months' service, was recruited to a full regiment at Camp Meigs and mustered into service between Sept. 12 and Oct. 25, 1862. It numbered 40 officers and 908 enlisted men. Its total losses during service were 3 killed, 12 died by accident or disease, total 15, suffering no casualties among its officers. It left the state Nov. 5, for Beaufort, N. C, where it arrived on the 15th and went into camp on the Trent river at "Camp Rogers." Co. C under Capt. William B. Fowle was soon sent to Beaufort, where it remained on detached duty until March 4, 1863, and the rest of the regiment formed part of Gen. Foster's forces in the Goldsboro expedition in Dec, 1862. It was under fire for the first time at Kinston, but suffered no losses, and was engaged at the battles of Whitehall and Goldsboro. Its next service was in connection with the Trenton expedition. In April, 1863, it was sent to the relief of a small force besieged at Washington, N. C., engaged in the skirmish at Blount's creek, and afterwards supplied a number of volunteers in the dangerous service of running the blockade below Washington. It was engaged in various duties in the vicinity of New Berne until June 24, when it was sent to Fortress Monroe, reported to Gen. Dix on the Pamunkey river, and went into camp at Hampton, Va., until July 2. Some complaints arose among the men at this time, as the term of service of most of them had expired. Thereupon Gen. Naglee, whose attention had been called to the matter, offered the men individually the option of returning home, or of joining the Army of the Potomac for a time, then engaged in the pursuit of the fleeing Lee. Officers and men to the number of 203 volunteered to remain in service, and were engaged in provost duty at Sandy Hook, Md., till July 18, when they were relieved and ordered home. They were mustered out of service at Readville, July 30, 1863.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of