Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

37th Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Thirty-seventh Infantry. — Cols., Oliver Edwards, Rufus P. Lincoln, Mason W. Tyler; Lieut.-Cols., Alonzo E. Goodrich, George L. Montague, Rufus P. Lincoln, Mason W. Tyler, Archibald Hopkins; Majs., Oliver Edwards, George L. Montague, Eugene J. Allen, Marcus T. Moody, Rufus P. Lincoln, Mason W. Tyler, Archibald Hopkins, Charles L. Edwards. This regiment, composed of men from the western part of the state, was mustered in at Pittsfield, Aug. 30 to Sept. 4, 1862, for three years, and mustered out on June 21, 1865, at Washington. The recruits and reenlisted men were transferred to the 20th Mass. infantry. The total number of members was 1,344, of whom 157 were killed or died of wounds and 76 died from accident or disease. The regiment left the state for Washington, Sept. 7, 1862, and remained in that vicinity for about a month, when it was then assigned to the Army of the Potomac. It was present at Fredericksburg; took part in the famous "Mud March," spent the winter of 1862-63 in camp near White Oak Church; joined in the Chancellorsville campaign, and lost heavily at the battle of Gettysburg, where its conduct was complimented by its commander. It started south after Gettysburg and reached Warrenton, Va., where it was ordered to New York on account of the draft riots. On Oct. 14, it returned to the Army of the Potomac; was present at the battle of Rappahannock Station; joined in the Mine Run campaign, and went into winter quarters near Brandy Station. In May, 1864, the 37th lost heavily at the Wilderness, fought desperately at the Spottsylvania Court House, and moved on to the North Anna, Cold Harbor and Petersburg. At Petersburg on June 18, 1864, it made a gallant charge and early in July was sent to the defense of Washington. It was engaged at Charlestown, W. Va., and at the Opequan in the Shenandoah Valley, and was then stationed at Winchester as provost guard. On Dec. 16 it rejoined the Army of the Potomac at Petersburg, took part in the Hatcher's run movement, the assault on Fort Stedman, and the final assault on Petersburg, April 2, 1865. Following the foe in their retreat, it was in the fight at Sailor's creek which was the last engagement in which the regiment participated. After guarding for a short time the Southside railroad, the men were reviewed at Richmond, also at Washington, and were then mustered out. The reenlisted men and recruits were transferred to the 20th Mass. June 21, 1865.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of