Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

35th Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Thirty-fifth Infantry. — Cols., Edward A. Wild, Sumner Carruth; Lieut.-Cols., Sumner Carruth, William S. King, Burr Porter, John W. Hudson; Majs., Sumner Carruth, Sidney Willard, William S. King, Nathaniel Wales, Edward G. Park, John W. Hudson, Franklin B. Mirick. This regiment was composed of men from the eastern part of the state, and in Aug., 1862, was mustered in for three years. It was mustered out at Washington, June 9, 1865, when the recruits and reenlisted men were transferred to the 29th Mass. infantry. The total number of members was 1,553, of whom 135 were killed or died of wounds and 64 died from disease or accident. The regiment left camp for Washington on Aug. 22, and Sept. 6, 1862, and was ordered to join the Army of the Potomac in Maryland. At South mountain it had a sharp fight with the enemy and made a brilliant assault at Antietam, the men behaving like seasoned veterans. After this battle, out of 1,000 men who had started from Massachusetts, less than 300 were able to report for duty. After a short rest the movement into Virginia was commenced and in December the regiment participated in the battle of Fredericksburg, where it again suffered heavy losses. On Feb. 9, 1863, it was transferred to Newport News, where it remained until March 25, when it was assigned to the Department of the Ohio, and reached Mt. Sterling, Ky., April 3. It was soon ordered to the support of Gen. Grant at Vicksburg, and joined in the pursuit of Gen. Johnston's army to Jackson, Miss. It was next actively engaged in the siege of Knoxville, after which it remained in the vicinity through the winter of 1863-64. In March, 1864, the regiment was ordered east and arrived in Annapolis, April 7, proceeding to Washington, thence to Bealeton Station, and joined the Army of the Potomac at the Wilderness on May 4. In this battle it was posted to guard the supply train, and was not actively engaged. At Cold Harbor, however, and at the siege of Petersburg, the Weldon railroad and Peebles' farm, it found opportunity for heroism and lost many men. It followed Lee's army as far as Farmville in April, 1865, when it received the news of the surrender. After a short time in Washington, came the welcome order: "Home."

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of