Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

32nd Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Thirty-second Infantry. — Cols., Francis J. Parker, George L. Prescott, Joseph C. Edmands ; Lieut.-Cols., Francis J. Parker, Edward A. Wilde, George L. Prescott, Luther Stevenson, Jr., Joseph C. Edmands, James A. Cunningham; Majs., Edward A. Wilde, Luther Stevenson, Jr., Joseph C. Edmands, James A. Cunningham, Edward O. Shepard. The 32nd, whose nucleus was the Fort Warren battalion, was organized for garrison duty at that place, and was sent to the front in May, 1862, where it was subsequently reinforced by the addition of four new companies. It was mustered out at Washington on June 28, 1865. Its total number of members was 2,393, of whom 134 were killed or died of wounds and 117 died from accident or disease. It was first ordered to Washington, sailed for Fortress Monroe in July, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. The six weeks in camp at Harrison's landing which followed was a time of great suffering from sickness, and in August, on the first day of the march to Yorktown, only 30 were able to keep up. Nevertheless, at the second Bull Run, the regiment was ready to do its share, but fortunately its duties on that occasion and during the battle of Chantilly were comparatively light. After participating in the battle of Fredericksburg, it went into winter quarters at Stoneman's switch. It shared in the "Mud March" and on April 27, 1863, started for Chancellorsville. Here and at Gettysburg the regiment fought bravely and then followed the fortunes of the Army of the Potomac through the Mine Run campaign, closing the year in winter quarters near Bealeton, Va. Early in 1864 the reenlisted men were furloughed and returned in February to camp, being the 1st Mass. veteran regiment. The 32d had its part in the battles of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania, and suffered heavy losses at Laurel hill. During this time the men had little rest and the engagements at the North Anna river, Totopotomoy and Bethesda Church followed in rapid succession. Next it was ordered to Petersburg and took part in the engagements there, on the Weldon railroad and at Poplar Grove Church. It finally went into winter quarters near the Jerusalem plank road, but was not destined to remain here long, for on Feb. 5, 1865, it left camp under sealed orders, proceeded to Hatcher's run and on the 6th, fought the battle of Dabney's mill. It was then stationed on the Vaughan road until March, and was engaged at the battles of Gravelly run and the White Oak road. On April 9, while engaged with the enemy at Ramplin's station on the Southside railroad, the news came of Lee's surrender, which abruptly ended the fighting. On the 11th, the arms of the conquered were received and after guarding them until the 13th, the homeward journey was commenced.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of