Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

30th Massachusetts Infantry
in the Civil War

Regimental History
Thirtieth Infantry.— Cols., Nathan A. M. Dudley, Francis H. Whittier; Lieut.-Cols., William Warren Bullock, Horace O. Whittemore, Francis H. Whittier, Samuel D. Shipley; Majs., Horace O. Whittemore, William F. Clark, Francis H. Whittier, Samuel D. Shipley, Edward A. Fiske, Brent Johnston. This regiment, known as the Eastern Bay State regiment, was mustered in at Lowell in the autumn and early winter of 1861-62. Owing to a difference of opinion between Gov. Andrew and Gen. Butler, for whom the regiment was raised, it left the state, Jan. 2, 1862, without officers having been commissioned but a satisfactory understanding was soon reached. It enlisted for three years but remained in the service as a veteran battalion until July 5, 1866, when it was mustered out at Fort Sumter after four and one-half years' service and was the last Massachusetts regiment to return home. It embarked on Jan. 13, 1862, for Fortress Monroe, where it reembarked for the south and arrived at Ship island, Miss., Feb. 12. It continued up the Mississippi river and landed at New Orleans, May 2, but soon reembarked for Baton Rouge. An expedition further up the river was undertaken and the troops landed at Vicksburg, where they endeavored to dig a canal to divert the river but failed. Returning to Baton Rouge, it engaged the enemy at that place on Aug. 5, and then moved to the vicinity of New Orleans. Much illness was the result of the hot climate and the duties of the regiment during the winter of 1862-63 were comparatively light. In May, 1863, it took part in the siege of Port Hudson and after the surrender moved to Donaldsonville, La. It spent the month of August at Baton Rouge. After various minor duties the beginning of 1864 found the regiment in camp at New Iberia, La., where many of the men reenlisted and the regiment became the 30th veteran volunteers. On July 5 it sailed for Fortress Monroe, Va., proceeded to Washington, thence through Harper's Ferry to Bolivar heights. Various strategic movements in Virginia followed, including an engagement at Winchester, followed by constant skirmishing while in pursuit of the enemy and battles at Fisher's hill and Cedar creek. Winter quarters were built near Middletown in the Shenandoah Valley but on Dec. 30, 1864, the regiment was ordered to Winchester and posted at the Opequan crossing to guard two important bridges. Here camps were built and the regiment remained here until April 1, 1865, when a movement up the Shenandoah Valley was commenced, but the surrender of Lee's army ended it. The 30th participated in the grand review at Washington and was ordered to Savannah, Ga., thence to Georgetown, S. C., then to Sumter with various details for garrison duty in the district. The total number of members of the regiment was 1,472, of whom 50 were killed or died of wounds and 319 from disease or accident.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of