Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!

1st Battery Massachusetts Light Artillery
in the Civil War

Regimental History
First Battery, Light Artillery.— Maj., Asa M. Cook; Capts., Josiah Porter, William H. McCartney. Its total enrolment in the three months' service was 9 officers, 107 men ; in the three years' service, 8 officers, 261 men. Its losses during service were 7 killed or died of wounds ; 12 died by accident or disease; 1 died in Confederate prison. At the outbreak of the war the 1st battery was a militia organization called the Boston Light Artillery, or Cook's battery. It was the only artillery command sent from Mass. under the first call for troops and left the state April 21, 1861, in company with the 5th infantry. It arrived at Annapolis on the 24th and moved to Relay house May 4, remaining here during most of its term. It was mustered into the U. S. service May 18, and was mustered out Aug. 2, 1861, reaching Boston the following day. It was almost immediately reorganized for the three years' service, with a new list of officers in conformity to the U. S. requirements. It left the state Oct. 3, 1861, for Washington, remained for a few weeks at Camp Duncan, then joined Franklin's division and crossed into Virginia, and was stationed for the winter near Fairfax seminary. In the spring of 1862 its division formed a part of the 1st corps under Gen. McDowell, was present at the siege of Yorktown and later went into position at West Point for its first action. It took part in all the movements of Franklin's division until the organization of the 6th corps, when it entered upon the Peninsular campaign as a part of the 1st division of this corps, and its subsequent history is identified with this command. During this campaign it took part in the battles of Mechanicsville and Gaines' mill, and was active at Glendale and Malvern hill. After the battle of Malvern hill, the battery remained in camp at Harrison's landing until the Army of the Potomac was called north to assist Gen. Pope. It was in action at Crampton's pass and Burkittsville, Md. ; shared in the march to Fredericksburg in November, and was heavily engaged in the battle there the following month. During the winter of 1862, it was encamped at White Oak Church, Va., and the ensuing year it was engaged in the Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Mine Run campaigns. It was then in winter quarters — 1863-64 — at Brandy Station, where many of its members reenlisted for an additional term of three years. It was not engaged at the battle of the Wilderness, but was active at the Po river, and at the battles of Spottsylvania Court House and Cold Harbor. It moved to Petersburg on June 17, 1864, and served in that vicinity until its corps was called to Washington July 9. It then shared in the various movements of its corps until the following September, taking an active part in the battles of Winchester and Fisher's hill. After the latter the veterans not reenlisted left the battery and the remaining men participated in the battle of Cedar creek, then, after a short term of service with the 5th U. S. artillery, they were transferred to the 9th Mass. battery, with which they completed their term of service. It was mustered out Oct. 19, 1864.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1

Whats New
About Us


Copyright 2010 by
A Division of