Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

8th Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
8th Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
8th Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Eighth Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., George T. Cochran, George Estep. The 8th battery was organized at Indianapolis in Dec, 1861, and left the state on Jan. 24, 1862, for Louisville, Ky., where it was attached to Gen. Nelson's division, with which it reached Nashville, Tenn., Feb. 26, being the first Union artillery to enter the city. Here it was assigned to Wood's division and made a forced march to Pittsburg landing, but reached there too late to take part in the battle of Shiloh. It took an active part in the siege of Corinth and moved from there through northern Alabama to Tuscumbia; being in several skirmishes en route. It was in a sharp engagement with the enemy at McMinnville, Tenn., in August, cutting the opposing force in two and utterly routing it, with the aid of the other artillery. It then joined in pursuit of Bragg, reached Munfordville after its surrender, and engaged in driving the enemy from the place, taking position to hold the town while the column moved to Louisville. It was soon ordered to Louisville, fought at Perryville, took part in several skirmishes, and returned to Nashville. Moving from camp Dec. 26, with Hascall's brigade the enemy was met near Lavergne and driven from his position. In the advance the next morning the enemy was driven across Stewart's creek and on the 28th the battery was placed to hold the bridge. It arrived at Murfreesboro on the 30th and took part in the battle of Stone's river. On the first day, with its brigade, it held and drove back the enemy while the army recrossed the river and took up a new line of battle, its work being of the highest order during all the fierce fighting of that day. The battery lost so heavily that it became necessary to detail men from the infantry to serve the guns, and after the battle it took position in the fortifications. In April, 1863, Lieut. Estep was promoted captain. In June the battery moved with Rosecrans' army in the campaign which resulted in the driving of the enemy from middle Tennessee, and then went into camp at Hillsboro. In August it moved to Sequatchie valley and from there to Chattanooga, being the first Federal battery to pass through that city. It next moved to Ringgold, Ga., thence to Gordon's mill, constantly skirmishing with the enemy's rear-guard. It was severely engaged at Chickamauga, where it lost 2 killed, 9 wounded, 7 captured, and 43 horses killed or disabled. A desperate charge of the enemy captured the battery, but it was soon recaptured by Bradley's brigade. Falling back to Chattanooga, it was stationed in the fortifications of that place until the battle of Missionary ridge, afterwards returning to Chattanooga. In the movement upon Atlanta in 1864, Capt. Estep was detached and accompanied the 14th corps as acting assistant ordnance officer. A 4-gun battery of the 1st Ga. artillery, having been captured at Resaca, Lieut. Winsor, who had been left at Chattanooga in command of the 8th battery, was detached and detailed to the command of these guns in redoubts at Resaca, being engaged in garrison duty at that point during the summer and fall of 1864, having a lively encounter with Hood's forces in October, destroying the works at Resaca after the evacuation of the Dalton railroad, and returning to the battery at Chattanooga, which had been in command of Lieut. Stokes during his absence. A number of the members re-enlisted as veterans in April, 1864, and after the muster-out of the battery in Jan., 1865, they were consolidated with the 7th battery, Lieut. Stokes being appointed captain of the reorganized 7th.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of