CIVIL WAR INDEX
Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
 
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

45th Indiana Regiment / 3rd Indiana Cavalry
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
45th Indiana Regiment / 3rd Indiana Cavalry Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 2, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1865 View Entire Book
45th Indiana Regiment / 3rd Indiana Cavalry Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 5, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
45th Indiana Regiment / 3rd Indiana Cavalry Reorganized Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 5, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Forty-fifth Indiana Regiment.— (3d Indiana Cavalry). — Cols., Scott Carter, George H. Chapman; Lieut. -Cols., Jacob S. Buchanan, George H. Chapman, Robert Klein; Majs., George H. Chapman, Charles Case, William S. McClure, Robert Klein, Charles Lemon, William Patton, Benjamin Q. A. Gresham, George H. Thompson, Alfred Gaddis. This regiment was organized in 1861. Six companies, originally organized at Madison Aug. 22, for the 1st cavalry and sent to the Army of the Potomac under the command of Lieut. -Col. Carter, were on Oct. 22, 1861, united with four companies that had been accepted in September and October and sent to Kentucky, the ten companies bearing the designation of the 3d cavalry. In Dec, 1862, two new companies, L and M, were organized and added to the regiment. The companies with the Army of the Potomac constituting the right wing, were designated as Cos. A, B, C, D. E and F, Col. Carter commanding; and the companies serving in Kentucky were designated as Cos. G, H, I and K. The right wing joined Hooker's division at Budd's ferry, south of Washington, in Dec. 1861. Cos. A, B and F were detached for the purpose of breaking up the contraband trade between Baltimore and Virginia and were thus occupied for four months. Co. E was detached for similar duty during the same time, in the vicinity of Maryland point and Port Tobacco. The regiment was on duty in lower Maryland until May, 1862, then moved to Washington, on May 25 to Thoroughfare gap, and thence to Luray participating in the movement to Front Royal. From there it moved to Bristoe Station and on July 7 was ordered to report to Gen. King at Falmouth, remaining there until the last of August, engaged in scouting south of Fredericksburg. It dispersed a rebel cavalry squadron at Anderson turnout, and after the evacuation of Fredericksburg moved to Washington, taking part in the Maryland campaign as part of Gen. Pleasonton's command. It was engaged in a number of cavalry skirmishes, and at South Mountain and Antietam. In the advance toward Warrenton, it was engaged with the enemy's cavalry at Philomont, Union, Upperville and Barber's cross-roads. It moved with the army to Falmouth, was in reserve at the battle of Fredericksburg, in a skirmish at Rapidan ford, in April, 1863, and took part in a cavalry battle near Beverly ford, in July, against Lee's forces during his second invasion of Maryland. It was assigned soon afterward to Gen. Buford's division and was in a cavalry battle at Upperville in June, in which it met a brigade of Stuart's cavalry at close quarters and aided in driving it back with heavy losses. It entered Gettysburg on June 30, and the next day its division held the enemy in check for 2 hours until the arrival of the 1st corps. It joined with the 8th N. Y. cavalry in checking a heavy flanking force until the troops could take up a new position. After the battle it moved in the pursuit of Lee's army, being engaged at Williamsport, Boonsboro, Beaver creek, Funkstown, Falling Waters, Chester gap, Brandy Station and at the Rappahannock. It was on picket and outpost duty near Culpeper Court House during the winter, and joined Kilpatrick's raid towards Richmond in Feb., 1864. It rejoined the army on March 15, and in April its brigade was transferred from the 1st to the 3d division, commanded by Gen. J. H. Wilson. On May 4, it crossed the Rapidan at Gennanna ford at daybreak, driving off the enemy's pickets. It was in a cavalry engagement at Craig's meeting house, fought at Spottsylvania, was in Sheridan's raid on Richmond, being in action at Yellow tavern and Meadow bridge, after which it moved to Haxall's landing, thence to White House, rejoining the army at Chesterfield on May 25. It next participated in engagements at Hanover Court House and Salem Church. Being in the advance in the movement from Cold Harbor across the Chickahominy, it drove off the enemy's pickets at Long bridge, and was engaged at White Oak swamp, Riddle's shop, Nottoway Court House, Roanoke Station and Stony creek. Col. Carter resigned, March 11, 1863, and was succeeded by Lieut. -Col. Chapman, who was promoted to brigadier-general July 21, 1864. In August the non-veterans of the battalion were mustered out, leaving 198 veterans and recruits, who were organized into two companies, A and B, and sent to the Shenandoah Valley. This battalion participated with Sheridan's army at Opequan creek and Cedar creek, capturing 2 pieces of artillery and 4 stands of colors. It accompanied Sheridan on the James River canal raid in the spring of 1865; was in the battles of Five Forks and Sailor's creek, capturing 5 stands of colors ; was engaged at Appomattox Court House, capturing 2 pieces of artillery; was then ordered to Louisville, and was mustered out at Indianapolis Aug. 7, 1865. Its losses amounted to 605. Of this number 81 were killed or died of wounds; 232 were wounded, 107 taken prisoners, 7 deserted and 17 were discharged for disability. Cos. G, H, I and K, which were sent to Kentucky, were detached for duty with different commands for over a year and then joined in the movement towards Nashville. After the battle of Shiloh they moved to Corinth, thence through Alabama and Tennessee with different divisions of Buell's army in its movement against Bragg. They went into camp near Edgefield Junction, in November, and moved with Rosecrans' army for Murfreesboro, being at Stone's river and all the subsequent movements and engagements of the winter of 1862-63, and of the spring, summer and fall following, terminating with the battle of Missionary ridge. The battalion moved into eastern Tennessee and was engaged in scouting and skirmishing during the winter, being joined by Cos. L and M, which had been organized in Dec, 1862, and kept at Indianapolis nearly a year. The battalion joined the Atlanta campaign and was engaged in all the cavalry operations of that movement. During the march through Georgia it was with Sherman's cavalry. At Savannah the remaining veterans and recruits were consolidated with the 8th Ind. cavalry and participated with that regiment in all its marches and engagements until its muster-out at Lexington, N. C, July 20, 1865. The original strength of the regiment was 1,058; gain by recruits, 393; reenlistments, 37; total, 1,488. Loss by death, 133; desertion, 65; unaccounted for, 319.

Footnotes:
Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
Bibliography
About Us


Custom Search



Copyright 2010 by CivilWarIndex.com
A Division of Pier-Pleasure.com