Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

3rd Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
3rd Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
3rd Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Pages 701-704, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Third Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., Watton W. Frybarger, James M. Cockefair, Thomas J. Ginn, Richard Burns. This battery was organized at Connersville, Aug. 5, 1861, and was mustered in on the 24th. It moved to St. Louis in September, was assigned to Fremont's army, and accompanied it in the campaign through southwestern Missouri. Capt. Frybarger was promoted major and Lieut. Cockefair succeeded him as captain. The battery moved from Springfield to Tipton, thence to Lamine Cantonment, remaining at that point until the spring of 1862, when it proceeded to Jefferson City. During the summer and fall sections of the battery were sent to different points in Missouri and were engaged with straggling forces of the enemy at Moon's mill, Kirksville and Lone Jack. The battery rendezvoused at Springfield during the winter of 1862-63. From there it moved to Rolla, thence to St. Louis, where it remained until the latter part of 1863. On Nov. 30 a majority of the members reenlisted as veterans, taking a furlough home and then rejoining their comrades in the field. In Dec, 1863, the battery moved to St. Louis, thence to Columbus, Ky., where it was assigned to Gen. A. J. Smith's command, taking part in the winter campaign through western Tennessee, at the close of which it moved to Vicksburg and joined Sherman's army on the expedition to Meridian, Miss., in Feb., 1864. Returning to Vicksburg, it went up the Red river, landing at Simsport, and taking part in the storming and capture of Fort De Russy. It was engaged at Pleasant Hill and in covering the retreat of Bank's army until it reached Morganza, taking part at Cane river crossing, Cloutierville, Alexandria, Old Oaks and Round Lake. It then returned to Vicksburg, thence to Memphis and Tupelo, Miss., being engaged at Tupelo, Tallahatchie, Jackson and Clinton during this movement. Returning to Memphis the battery was newly equipped and moved to Oxford, Miss., but soon returned to Memphis and moved with the 16th army corps to St. Louis, where it joined Rosecrans' forces in pursuit of Price. After a march of 800 miles without overtaking him, the battery returned to St. Louis and proceeded to Nashville, being engaged in the battle in front of that city in December. It moved to Eastport, Miss., in Jan., 1865, thence to New Orleans, where it was assigned to Gen. Canby's command, taking part with it in the siege and capture of Fort Blakely, which resulted in the surrender of Mobile. It next moved to Montgomery, thence to Selma, Ala., where it remained until July 30, 1865, when orders were received to proceed to Indianapolis. It was mustered out Aug. 13, 1865, numbering 3 officers and 71 men, having lost 64 in killed and wounded.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of