Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

24th Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
24th Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
24th Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Twenty-fourth Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., Joseph A. Sims, Alexander Hardy. This battery was organized in the fall of 1862 and was mustered in Nov. 29. It left the state March 13, 1863, for Louisville, from which place it marched to Lebanon, Burkesville, Jamestown, Monticello and other points on the Cumberland river, being engaged at Horse Shoe bend. Returning to Columbia in June, it moved on the 23d for Glasgow; was in an engagement at Marrowbone early in July, and then started in pursuit of Morgan. Marching into eastern Tennessee with Burnside's army, it was the first battery to cross the Cumberland mountains. It reached Loudon on Sept. 2, and from there participated in the engagements at Philadelphia and Sweetwater in October. Leaving for Knoxville on Nov. 4, it took part in the engagement at Campbell's station, and during the siege of Knoxville the battery was actively engaged in the defense of the garrison and works. On Dec. 5, it started in pursuit of Longstreet's army and spent that month and Jan., 1864, in the wearisome campaign, poorly fed, without overcoats or tents, and dependent on the country for nearly everything. Returning to Knoxville, it rested until April, when it proceeded to Charleston, Tenn., where it was assigned to Hovey's division of the 23d corps, moving with it to Red Clay, Ga., and then with Sherman's army in the Atlanta campaign. It was in action at Resaca, Campbellton, Moore's bridge, Sandtown, and Sunshine Church, at which place it was compelled to surrender 2 of its officers, 47 men and 2 guns. The remainder of the battery continued to Atlanta and remained until Oct. 4, when it accompanied the pursuit of Hood's forces into Tennessee and was engaged at Columbia. It reached Nashville Dec. 1, and was present at the battle there two weeks later. On Jan. 18, 1865, it started for Louisville, where it remained on post duty until ordered to Indianapolis in July. The battery reached that city on July 28 with 3 officers and 92 men, having lost 30 by death, 18 by discharge and 33 by desertion. It was mustered out Aug. 3, 1865. Capt. Sims resigned Jan. 20, 1864, and Lieut. Hardy was appointed as his successor.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of