Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

22nd Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
22nd Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
22nd Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Twenty-second Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., Benjamin F. Denning, Edward W. Nicholson. This battery was organized at Indianapolis in Oct., 1862, and was mustered in Dec. 15. It left the state in March, 1863, going to Kentucky, where it passed most of the year on duty at Louisville, Bowling Green and Russellville, and in the pursuit of Morgan's forces in July and August. It was ordered to Knoxville, Tenn., to join Burnside's forces, but on reaching Point Burnside, Ky., was assigned to duty with Gen. Fry's command, the emergency at Knoxville having passed. It remained there until May 12, 1864, when it joined Schofield's 23d corps, with Sherman's army in Georgia, and from July 1 it participated in all the engagements in which its corps took part until the occupation of Atlanta, the battery claiming to have thrown the first shell into that city. Capt. Denning was mortally wounded July 21, and Lieut. Nicholson was afterward commissioned captain. Marching with its corps through Georgia and into Tennessee, the battery took part in the engagements at Columbia, Franklin and Nashville and the pursuit of Hood's army as far as Clifton. It then accompanied the corps to Cincinnati and Washington, and from there embarked for the mouth of the Cape Fear river. It was next ordered to Morehead City, where it disembarked, marched to Kinston, and Goldsboro, following closely in pursuit of Johnston's army, and was present at Durham Station, when Johnston surrendered. The battery remained in North Carolina until June, 1865, when it was ordered to Indianapolis with 3 officers and 97 men. It was mustered out July 7, 1865. The battery lost 13 killed, 22 discharged and 37 deserted.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of