Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

21st Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
21st Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
21st Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Twenty-first Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., William W. Andrew, Abram P. Andrew. This battery was organized in the summer of 1862, was mustered in at Indianapolis Sept. 9, and immediately left the state for Covington, Ky., then threatened by the invading forces under Kirby Smith. From Covington it moved to Lexington, Richmond, Danville and Louisville, where it remained until Feb. 2, 1863, when it moved to Nashville, Tenn. From Carthage it marched with an expedition to Rome, Ga., engaging in skirmishes on March 19 and 26, then returning to Carthage. It was engaged in skirmishes at Gainesboro and Carthage and on June 3 proceeded to Murfreesboro, joining Reynolds' division of Rosecrans' army, with which it participated in the action at Hoover's gap and the campaign against Chattanooga. It was in an engagement at Catlett's gap and the battle of Chickamauga, falling back with the army to Chattanooga, took part in the storming of Missionary ridge, and on Dec. 5 was ordered to Nashville and remained there until the following spring. It moved to Columbia March 26, 1864, and was stationed there until the following fall. Capt. Andrew was discharged on Sept. 17 for disability from wounds and Lieut. Abram P. Andrew succeeded to the command. The battery was engaged with Forrest's forces in October and on Hood's advance fell back to Nashville, where it was engaged in the battle in December. After the battle the battery was placed in the reserve artillery and remained at Nashville until ordered out of service. It reached Indianapolis June 21, 1865, with 5 officers and 142 men, and was mustered out the same day. It had entered the service with 5 officers and 141 men, and had received 69 recruits. Its loss by death from various causes was 26, discharged 29, deserted, 7.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of