Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

1st Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
1st Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
1st Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Pages 693-696, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
First Indiana Light Battery. — Capt., Martin Klauss. This battery was organized at Evansville and was mustered into the U. S. service Aug. 16, 1861. Its first service was with Gen. Fremont in Missouri, assisting in the capture of 950 prisoners at Blackwater creek in December. Late in Jan., 1862, as part of Gen. Jeff C. Davis' division, it moved toward Springfield, encountering the Confederates under Gen. Price and pursuing them to Cross Hollow, Ark. It was next in the operations against Gen. Van Dom, and was active in the battles of Leetown, Elkhorn Tavern and Pea Ridge. It then encamped at Cross Timbers for about a month, when it moved toward Forsyth, over the Ozark mountains to Sulphur Rock, where it remained until late in June, when it marched to Helena, Ark., reaching there July 13. In October it was ordered to Ironton, Mo., and marched from there through southeastern Missouri to Milliken's bend in March, 1863, where it was assigned to the 13th Army corps. It was engaged at Port Gibson, Champion's Hill and the Big Black river, after which it went into position in the front of Vicksburg, where it was engaged until the surrender. It took part in the siege of Jackson and after its evacuation it returned to Vicksburg and went into camp. It moved to New Orleans in August and accompanied Gen. Franklin's expedition into the Teche country in the fall. In early March, 1864, the battery moved with Banks' expedition up the Red river, taking part in the battles of Sabine cross-roads and Yellow Bayou. When the army fell back to Grand Ecore the battery was assigned to the 16th corps and was engaged daily in repelling the enemy's constant attacks upon the retiring army until Morganza was reached, when it returned to its old corps and proceeded to New Orleans. Capt. Klauss having resigned, First-Lieut. Lawrence Jacoby of the 1st Mo. artillery, was promoted captain, and a number of the men reeenlisted as veterans at New Orleans. The non-veterans returned home in the fall of 1864 and were mustered out at Indianapolis. The battery took an active part in the siege and capture of Spanish Fort, near Mobile, in the spring of 1865; moved to Montgomery after the surrender of Mobile and remained there until ordered home for muster out. It was mustered out on Aug. 22, 1865.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of