Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

17th Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
17th Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
17th Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Seventeenth Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., Milton L. Minor, Hezekiah Hinkson. This battery was organized at Indianapolis in the winter of 1862, and was mustered in May 20, 1863. It left the state July 5, going to Baltimore, where it passed the summer and fall, with the exception of a brief expedition to Gettysburg. It reached Harper's Ferry Dec. 28 and, except for a brief period at Frederick City, remained in garrison there until the summer of 1864. During this time it participated in engagements at Harper's Ferry in July and Charlestown in Oct., 1863. The troops at Harper's Ferry and vicinity participated in the operations of Sheridan's army in the Shenandoah Valley during 1864, the battery being engaged at Maryland heights and Halltown, and in the movement against Early it took part at the Opequan, losing 6 men wounded; at Fisher's Hill, New Market and Cedar creek losing 5 men killed, and 15 wounded, and 20 horses killed. It lost 3 guns in the morning at Cedar creek but regained them in the evening when the enemy was driven from the field. At the conclusion of this campaign the battery was stationed at Frederick City and later at Winchester, where it remained until June 19, 1865, when it left for Indianapolis with 3 officers and 108 men. Capt. Miner died in Oct., 1864, and Lieut. Hinkson was promoted to fill the vacancy.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of