Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

13th Indiana Light Battery
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
13th Indiana Light Battery Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
13th Indiana Light Battery Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
Thirteenth Indiana Light Battery. — Capts., Sewell Coulson, Benjamin S. Nicklin. This battery was organized at Indianapolis in the winter of 1861-62. It was mustered in Feb. 22, 1862, proceeding at once to Louisville, where it was detached as cavalry and sent after roving bands of guerrillas. At Monterey it was in a sharp skirmish with the enemy, utterly routing him and capturing over 100 prisoners. During the summer of 1862 it was engaged in checking and pursuing Morgan's forces and in driving them away during their raids through Kentucky. A portion of the battery reached Munfordville on Sept. 15, that place being threatened by the advance of Bragg's army, and lost 1 gun during the two days' fight that followed, the garrison being compelled to surrender by superior forces. During Bragg's advance upon Louisville, the battery was engaged in the work of repelling his forces. At Kentucky river near Versailles, it was in a brisk fight, in which the enemy was driven from the field, and on three several occasions it joined in pursuit of Morgan. A section of the battery was stationed at Hartsville, Tenn., with a brigade of Dumont's division, when Morgan, with 1,500 picked infantry, appeared and captured the post, the battery losing 2 guns and 2 men killed. It went to Gallatin and refitted, being placed in charge of Fort Thomas, where it remained until Jan. 23, 1865, when it moved to Chattanooga, and remained on duty at the forts until ordered home. It was mustered out July 5, 1865, with 146 men and officers. On March 11, 1862, Benjamin S. Nicklin was commissioned captain, in place of Capt. Coulson, resigned.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Custom Search

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of