Primary Source Material
on the Soldiers and the Battles
Home The Armies The Soldiers The Battles Civilians Articles
If this website has been useful to you, please consider making a Donation.

Your support will help keep this website free for everyone, and will allow us to do more research. Thank you for your support!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
cyndislist.gif (5249 bytes)
ingenweb.gif (14011 bytes)

128th Indiana Infantry
in the American Civil War

Online Books:
128th Indiana Infantry Officer Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 3, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1866 View Entire Book
128th Indiana Infantry Soldier Roster - Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Indiana, Volume 7, by W.H.H. Terrell, Adjutant General, Indiana, 1867 View Entire Book

Regimental History
One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Indiana Infantry. —Cols., Richard P. De Hart, Jasper Packard; Lieut. -Cols., Jasper Packard, Richard K. Miller; Majs., Joshua Healey, Richard K. Miller, John M. Pierce. This regiment was organized at Michigan City in the winter of 1863, and was mustered in March 18, 1864. It left the state on the 18th, proceeding to Nashville, Tenn., where it was assigned to the 1st brigade, Hovey's division. It moved on April 6 for Charleston, Tenn., which place was reached on the 21st. There its division was designated as the 1st and assigned to the 23d corps, commanded by Gen. John M. Schofield, with which it moved on May 4 on the Atlanta campaign, taking part in the actions at Resaca, Dallas, New Hope Church, Lost mountain, Kennesaw mountain, before Atlanta on July 22, and at Jonesboro Sept. 1. The 1st brigade was transferred to the 3d division in June. Col. De Hart having been disabled, Lieut. -Col. Packard assumed command of the regiment June 6, and on Aug. 9 it was assigned to the 3d brigade of the same division. After the fall of Atlanta, the regiment went into camp at Decatur, where it remained until Oct. 4, when it moved with its corps in pursuit of Hood's forces as far as Gaylesville, Ala., whence it proceeded to Chattanooga to reinforce Gen. Thomas. It moved to Nashville and thence to Columbia, being in a six-days' skirmish, commencing Nov. 24. Marching all night Nov. 29, the regiment reached Franklin, 26 miles distant, on the morning of the 30th, where it took part in the battle that day and aided in repelling repeated assaults. It fell back with the army to Nashville, took part in the defense of that place during the succeeding two weeks and in the battle of Dec. 15-16. Joining in the pursuit of Hood, it moved as far as Columbia, where it remained until Jan. 5, 1865, when it went to Clifton, sailed for Cincinnati, proceeding thence to New Berne, N. C, via Washington and Morehead City. In March it moved towards Kinston, engaging in the battle at Wise's Forks, where it took an active part and lost heavily. Leaving Kinston on the 20th, the regiment reached Goldsboro the following day and on the 25th moved to Lenoir institute, where it remained on rail-road guard until April 9, when it returned to Goldsboro. It was mustered out April 10, 1866. Col. DeHart was wounded June 6, 1864, and from that time Lieut.-Col. Packard was in command, being commissioned colonel April 29, 1865, and brevetted brigadier-general. The original strength of the regiment was 959; gain by recruits, 254; total, 1,213. Loss by death, 139; desertion, 64; unaccounted for, 16.

Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3

Whats New
About Us

Copyright 2010 by
A Division of